Hello and welcome to the Parent Council section of the Kingsland Primary School website.
Parent Council Members for 2019/20 are:
Why Are We Here?
- To support the school to provide a friendly welcome for all families at all times to create a school community where everyone feels included
- To support the school to achieve it’s objectives and make improvements where needed by working with parents, children, teachers, school staff and the wider community
- To ask for, listen to and respond to the general views of parents
Our Parent Council
- Our Parent Council will be a minimum of six parents and a maximum of twelve parents of children attending the school.
- Parents can join our Parent Council at the Annual General Meeting (AGM) or where the numbers have fallen below 6 parents. Parents are invited to participate for two years and can put themselves forward for another two years if they wish at each AGM until they no longer have children attending the school.
- Our Parent Council will have a Chairperson, Vice Chairperson, Secretary and Treasurer.
- Parent Council members will be elected to these posts by the Parent Council every year at the first meeting following the AGM.
- The Chairperson of the Parent Council cannot chair any sub-committee. If their child no longer attends the school, the role of the Chair will pass to the Vice Chairperson until a new Chairperson is appointed.
- The Parent Council may invite (co-opt) people from the local community to assist it with carrying out its functions. Co-opted members will be invited to participate for one year. Co-opted members will have no voting rights, and will participate as an advisor to the parents.
The AGM will be held in September of each year. Notice of the meeting including the date, time, and place will be sent to all parents of children attending the school at least two weeks in advance. The meeting will include:
- A report about the work the Parent Council and its committee(s) has done to support the school
- Opportunity for new parents to join the Parent Council
- A treasurers report to be approved and the appointment of an auditor for the account
- The Parent Council will meet at least once in every school term.
- Only elected parent members on the Parent Council are allowed to vote. Should a vote be necessary to make a decision, at least 5 members will be present, with the Chair having a casting vote in the event of a tie.
- The Head Teacher or their representative has a right and a duty to be in attendance at all meetings.
- If 50% of parent members of the Parent Council request that an additional meeting be held, all members of the Parent Council will be given at least one weeks notice of the date, time and place of the meeting.
- At any time the Parent Council can set up a sub-committee to take on responsibility for specific actions to support the work of the school. The sub group will report to each Parent Council meeting.
- Minutes of meetings will be made available to all parents and school staff.
- Meetings of the Parent Council are open to all parents with children in the school to attend, unless the Parent Council is discussing an issue which it considers should be dealt with on a confidential basis. In such circumstances, only members of the Parent Council and the Head teacher, or his or her representative, can attend.
- The Treasurer will open a bank or building society account in the name of the Parent Council. Withdrawals will require the signature of the Treasurer and one other Parent Council member. The Treasurer will keep an accurate record of all income and expenditure, and will provide a summary of this for each Parent Council meeting and a full account for the AGM. The Parent Council accounts will be audited by the auditor appointed at the previous AGM. The Parent Council and any sub-committee shall be responsible for ensuring that all monies are used to support and advance the education of the pupils.
It is hoped that your children will enjoy their time at Kingsland Primary school and that you as a parent take the opportunity to get involved during their years at the school.
The Parent Council can be contacted via: